Author Topic: How about another sim?  (Read 607 times)

LewisMG

• View Profile
How about another sim?
« on: December 23, 2017, 11:15:12 PM »

I used to be on the Prospero SWWISA forum years ago.

I was LesterBoffo on the old forum

I still play RB3D, but all of my newest development has been with the open source, OpenGl/ OpenSceneGraph based flight sim FlightGear.

Let me post some images..

BTW  That's the Somme valley above near Albert, it really looks like the Somme, a bunch of Oxbow swamps and lakes connected by a small river.

These are a few of about 30 planes I've made for FightGear.   Presently I have 5 Aerodromes in FG's scenery, including Belfort, Habshiem, Corcieux, Ghent-Merelbeke, and Stow Maries in the UK.  All of the airfields are correctly placed and the Corine based terrain mesh is as fine a match to reality as you could ask for in a freeware sim. One caveat is,  FlightGear is a multi OS project and the primary installation is not for the faint-hearted, but it's Windows version runs great on middling 2010ish level gaming computers with 1 gig video cards, 2 core AMD 3 gig CPU's, and 32 or 64 bit Windows.  It also has seasonal terrain and tree shaders, cloud and precipitation shaders and real weather fetching from local metar sources, and it's really quite awesome to play in MMP, the servers are wideband and there's not much latency.

I don't expect much response, but after reading this forum for the past 2 years, it has me wondering, instead of wishing you folks had a modern OpenGl version of RB3D, why not try out an existing simulator that is open source and very adaptable, user modifiable, runs equally well on both 32 and 64 bit  Win OS... ( I run WinXP, yup that's my screenshots, all on a dated old XP gaming rig.) and see if you like the look and feel of FlightGear.

I have, ( with the help of a couple FG coders made a lot of progress with the WWI combat end of the sim, there are forward MG's that have working submodels, observer positions with mouse-lookable gun tracking, you can fly defensive turns while also tracking your MMP opponent with your rear gun merely by centering on his position visually with the mouse-look.

The scenery is downloaded on the fly while you are online  you can also fly offline, the one thing you cannot do is have complex date driven missions and campaigns like RB3D has, yet...    With the open source structure I would think someone could find a way to port that into FG, there is AI flight support and a recent combat programming AI support called Bombable.  I have coded driveable vehicles,  a Thornycroft AA truck that has an AA cannon that also has the mouse tracking aim, you can defend your airfield.

It's heady stuff and I think that anyone who loves the immersion of RB3D should give this sim a serious look.

Ackermann

• View Profile
Re: How about another sim?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 10:17:41 AM »
I'm impressed, Lewis. I would like to give this a look for sure. What's your end goal for this sim? Are you looking for a publisher or something?

SwampFox

• Team Redux
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 05:22:23 PM »
Lewis

Read it over again.

What is the website?

S!

SwampFox

• Team Redux
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 09:32:01 AM »
Lewis

From the time and other resources put into RB3D SP, and feedback from programmers who actually worked on the sim starting 20 years ago, it seems technically viable for a programmer to bring the Mission part into an opensource platform. 

No owner beyond Dynamix EVER treated Red Baron 3D with the respect for its quality it deserved/deserves.  Weird as hell to people who love the game.

It was/is 100% about money, in my humble opinion.  Never about you.

Earnest

LewisMG

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 12:42:52 AM »

What's my end goal?  I have no 'end goal' other than as a fellow WWI aviation nut wanting to be part of extending the life of a WWI sim that has brought a fair amount of joy to a lot of other users.

Look at what happened at Prospero, Polovski joined at the end of 2006 with the intention of quickly starting something new for RB3D which eventually turned into a morph of MS-CFS3 Over Flanders Fields which is now WOFF. Yeah they didn't do anything for RB3D despite their first intentions.

Read it over again? If you mean this forum's name..?

You realize that FG coding can be repackaged as you wish, the name of it isn't a fixture, there are dozens of users who have repackaged and recoded the core coding for all sorts of different uses, under different names.

It's open source, and you're allowed under the EULA to make it either freeware or make a profit. 

I'm trying to provide an bit of help, if this is too insulting, I will take my leave of this forum, obviously I picked the wrong folks to be generous with,  my mistake.

Cheers, for what it's worth.

LewisMG

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 02:21:57 AM »
Corcieux with Fall colors

SwampFox

• Team Redux
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 09:06:49 PM »
I asked for the DL

I did not find the DL. I would like to DL and fly it.  Can you post the URL?

I emailed you with questions and to start discussion, but I did not get a response.  Maybe they didnt get through.

Swamp

SwampFox

• Team Redux
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2018, 07:26:28 PM »
Hi Lewis

Read it over again? If you mean this forum's name..?

Sorry, what I was saying is that I "read it" (your post) over again, and deleted previous comments and questions. 

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Swamp

LewisMG

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2018, 09:38:01 PM »
Link to the main FG repo will get you the latest version, unfortunately the latest version also has a more than few bug and broken codes for using my scenery files

I do have a mediafire download link for FG version 2016.1 or if you can find it at OSDN

link..https://osdn.net/projects/sfnet_flightgear/downloads/release-2016.1/FlightGear-2016.1.1.exe/ 

I have an aircraft repo, with materials and 3D objects download on mediafire.

Try out the sim and read the user's readme's and pdf's.  It will come loaded with KFSO and the surrounding Bay Area.   You can also download new scenery using TerraSynch, any other part of the world you want as long as you know the closest ICAO airport code. Write in the ICAO in FGRun.  Make sure you check the config .ini file's pathways so it loads the downloaded TerraSynch folders into the same FG Data folder for Scenery.  Also don't use the .exe it comes with start it with.  Use the FGRun.exe in the Bin folder, copy it to desktop or your start page and use it exclusively.

Let me know how it goes